The 2017 Scottish Craft Butcher Awards for Savoury ProductsTuesday, 11th Oct 2016
The Savoury Products evaluation is for pies and pastries that can be eaten either hot or cold. There are six categories:- Scotch Pie, Bridie, Sausage Roll, Hand held Steak Pies, Hand held Steak with additions, Chicken Pies (with or without additions).
By additions we mean: kidney, mushrooms, red wine, skirlie, haggis etc.
Rules of Entry
1. The Scottish Craft Butcher Awards are open to all SFMTA members.
2. Entries may be any shape and a portion must be for just one person (150 – 250 grams).
The products must be baked ready for eating and supplied cold on arrival.
3. Any pastry can be used, can be lattice topped, potato topped, come with added sauce etc.
4. Each entry should consist of three products.
5. It is a condition of entry that an allergen declaration must be completed for each product entered in the awards but no ticket or cooking instructions are required.
6. The entrant must ensure the safe packaging, transport and delivery of entries to the venue or pick up point on time. It is therefore recommended:-
All pies and pastries should be thoroughly chilled before packing and actually unpacked whilst still in chilled (but not frozen) condition (<8°C).
Pack the products in an insulated box/container, ideally with frozen ice packs, so that they remain chilled.
NB: disposable ice pack and polystyrene boxes are recommended.
Pack the products so they are secure, as movement could lead to possible damage.
Label the container that contains each entry, seal and dispatch.
When packed as above products can be sent with a non-chilled Courier on overnight delivery. We advise putting the consignment on a timed delivery to ensure it arrives on time.
Alternatively deliver your entries in person to your selected pick up point or to
Gannochy Suite, Dewars Centre, Perth PH2 0TH but they need to arrive chilled.
All products will be probed for temperature upon arrival. Products delivered
over 8°C, frozen or damaged or technically unsafe will be rejected and
therefore NOT judged.
7. The products MUST be delivered to the venue or pick up point on the date and time specified on the entry form.
8. Pies and pastries will be reheated and judged hot unless marked eat cold.
The products themselves must not contain any identifying marks which would
directly link the product to your business. All pies and pastries are judged blind
and can win Diamond, Gold or Silver awards.
9. All products will be judged on plain white plates without garnish or decoration.
10. The judges` assessment notes will be passed on to the entrants upon request, but are for the guidance of entrants only and must not be made public.
11. Those entrants winning awards may use the 2017 Scottish Craft Butcher Awards logo on products and in their own publicity. The logo may only be used for winning products and must mention the year of the award and the name of the pie or pastry which won must be mentioned underneath the logo.
Entries must be delivered to Gannochy Suite, Dewars Centre, Perth PH2 0TH on Thursday 3rd November between 9.30am and 11.30am.
If you wish to take advantage of a collection point by 9.00am on Thursday 3rd November.
Shaws Fine Meats, 12 Market Place, Lauder Tel: 01578 722306
H & S Milne & Sons, 1 Inverurie Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen Tel: 01224 712621
James Chapman (Butchers) Ltd. Glasgow Road, Wishaw. Tel: 01698 372028
Duncan Fraser, Queensgate, Inverness, Tel: 01463 233066